Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 3

I have driven 200 EV miles and have had some bugs to sort out. None have been too serious and I was able to fix them quickly. One bug was more serious and took 24 hours to get the EV back on the road.

The car accelerates very well. It seems to be a lot smoother than with the old engine (I.C.E.)
I start out in 3rd gear and don't change until I reach 45 mph, then to 4th up to 55 mph, and finally 5th gear up to 70 mph. I haven't pushed it any further as the rpm dial is not yet working (the wiring is a little beyond me, so I am getting some help with that)

It is a total pleasure to drive. The music sounds great because the car is so quiet.

I am going to have to modify a few things to make it better.

It needs power steering in order for my wife to be able to park it. It is too heavy for her at slow speeds.
The controller is getting too hot so I have to make some changes to the cooling system. So the guys and EVsource.com are helping out with that.
The motor to transmission coupling was too small for this application, so I am changing it to a much sturdier one. This is taking a bit of time and it is killing me that the EV is off the road. I am having to exercise my patience.
The part came in today and is at the machinist having the splined part welded into it. So I hope the car will be back on the road next week. Then I shall be wearing my EV grin again.

2 comments:

  1. wow very impressive - so you don't need to use 1st or 2nd gear?
    I keep thinking it would have been easier to buy a Tesla but not as much fun as building an ev yourself!

    Partnership with Toyota

    Tesla and Toyota to cooperate on the development of electric vehicles, parts, and production system and engineering support. Learn more at TeslaMotors.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to show everyone that if you want to own an EV but don't have the big budget you can still do it.

    ReplyDelete