Total Pageviews

Friday, June 11

Today was a great day. I pushed the EV to it's limits. I had to get the empty weight of the vehicle to have the registration change officially to Electric. The closest weigh station was 15.5 miles away. The batteries have not been broken in totally so the range is still uncertain. I got all the way there with no hassles. The weight has increased by about 900 lbs. (Hefty batteries). I consulted my battery state of charge chart and it said that I had about 70% remaining. So I decided to give it a shot and try to make it home. Well I got to the 29 mile mark and she started to lose power, so I pulled into someone's driveway and waited for 15 mins to let the batteries recover. I had to get over a couple of hills to get to the nearest gas station. Waiting worked and I made it over the ridge and met the owner of the gas station in Pleasantville and asked him if would let me plug in for a bit to boost my batteries in order to get me home. Well Thank you Joe Fanelli, what a great guy. I spent about a half hour there showing off the car to interested parties, and then was on my way again and made it home.

The next hurdle was to get the last bit of information to the DMV. It did cause a bit of uncertainty among the supervisors and agents there. They did some checking with various higher authorities and finally gave me the green light and now my registration and title reflect the fact that the car in now a 100% electric car with Zero emissions. I am now officially totally street legal. Does that mean that I can apply for the Federal tax rebate, I wonder?

It's been a totally exciting day. Maybe I said that already.

No comments:

Post a Comment